Warning: Use of undefined constant MSW_WPFM_FILE - assumed 'MSW_WPFM_FILE' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/moving2o/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-file-monitor/wordpress-file-monitor.php on line 39
Victorian Drivers License - Australia -

Victorian Drivers License – Australia

    Victorian Drivers license - Australia

    Getting an Australian driver’s license depends on the Australian state you are living in.  This post is for those applying for their Australian driver’s license in the state of Victoria and covers the following topics

    • Visa status
    • License translations
    • Applying for a Victorian full driver’s license

    Visa Status

    Temporary visaVictorian Drivers license - Australia

    In Victoria it all depends on whether you entered Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.  If you are on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas driver license as long as it is current and not out of date, providing it is in English or you have an English translation or an international driving permit.

    Permanent visa

    If you are on a permanent visa in Victoria there are two conditions you can drive under, depending on whether the visa was issued to you before you entered Australia or after you entered Australia.

    • If you received your permanent visa before you entered Australia you can drive on your overseas license for up to six months from the day you entered Australia.
    • If your permanent visa was issued to you while you were in Australia then you can drive on your overseas license from the date the permanent visa was issued to you.

    After 6 months to continue driving in Victoria you will need to change your overseas license to a Victorian drivers license.

    License translations

    If your overseas license is not in English,  you will need an English translation with it.  VicRoads only accept translations from certain places listed below and you will need to cover the cost of it.

    License Translations Accepted from:

    • a NAATI accredited (any level) translator
    • An appropriate consulate in Australia
    • a valid and current International Driver Permit, which complies with the UN convention for International Driving Permits, and is issued in the country the overseas driver license is issued in, and is accompanied by a current overseas driver license from the same country the permit was issued in


    Applying for a Victorian full driver’s license

    There are a few checkpoints to pass to be eligible for a Victorian license.  These include:Victorian Drivers license - Australia

    • Holding an overseas full driver’s license OR have held an overseas probationary driver license for at least 3 years from your 18th birthday (and being able to provide evidence to prove this)
    • Being 21 or older

    To get a Victorian driver license you will need to make an appointment with VicRoads Customer Service Centre .  At the appointment you will be doing  the following tests:

    • *A road law knowledge test
    • *hazard perception test
    • eyesight test
    • *drive test

    *You may be exempt from the road law knowledge test, hazard perception test and drive test depending on whether you have your full foreign license or not

    Exemptions from license tests

    If you hold a driver license from a recognized country or jurisdiction you will not have to sit a test.

    Recognised countries or jurisdictions

    Austria, Finland, Nethoerlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Portugal, UK, Croatia, Greece, Luxembourg, Singapore, USA, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Guernsey, Jersey, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Isle of Man*, Malta**

    * for licences first issued on or after 1 April 1991
    ** for licences first issued on or after 2 Jan 2004

    Countries and jurisdictions where driver experience is recognised

    Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong*, Czech Republic, Estonia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa and Cyprus**.

    * Hong Kong – *The Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.

    ** Cyprus must be accompanied by a Cypriot passport or Cyprus Identity card or letter of verification from the Cyprus High Commission of CanberraVictorian Drivers license - Australia


    Making an appointment for your test

    To make an appointment you have two options:

    1. Call Vicroads on 131171, and pay by credit card
    2. Visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.  You can pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card.

    For further details visit the VicRoads site directly.

    *Disclaimer: While all efforts are made to ensure information is factual, the Moving2Oz team recommend checking the VicRoads site as it is constantly changing and updating and it would be worth your while looking at it to verify information.

    Leave a Reply